Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Initial thoughts (one week into the program)

“So do you feel a little overwhelmed with all these women?”, I was asked after the first class into the Introductory week of the Master of Occupational Therapy program. Having made the transition into OT from Elementary teaching, I replied that I was used to it, yet the ratio imbalance she was referring to was hard to ignore. In a class of 40 students, I would be one of two men. As I often did when I was an elementary teacher, I’ve been reflecting on what it is that makes the OT profession particularly attractive to women or conversely unattractive to men. I’ve posed this question to OT’s over the last few months and generally no one really seems to know why. Some speculated that men prefer to be in managerial positions which can be more easily attained in other professions such as related to finance or business. Some proposed that the lay perception of Occupational Therapy (if a lay perception exists at all) is that the nature of the work is similar to nursing which has traditionally been a female dominated profession. Others thought it was a money issue (or lack of it). Whatever the reason, and I continue to speculate, I began to question whether male OT’s can have an important impact in providing services and treatment particularly in areas such as spinal cord injury in which clients tend to be over-represented by the young male demographic group.

The first week of the MOT has been a good balance of orientation details and introduction to course content. The inclusion of an ‘Introduction to Anatomy’ was a nice touch. It represented a caring outstretched hand to new students who had not studied Human Kinetics in the past. As noted by one of the teachers, there seems to have been a shift in trend towards students entering the program from psychology and social science backgrounds and this is certainly true of our ‘Class of 2009’.

Among the special items we have been given to place in our tool kits as we embark on this learning journey, has been a formula to answer the question, “So what exactly is an OT?” that predictably gets asked after the question “So what do you do for work?” As an aside, is it my imagination or does the word ‘So’ appear before any question that is asked more out of the need for conversation rather than genuine interest? Going back to the original question, it seems that the answer can change depending on who is asking, but the formula stays the same. The little gem given to us was: always base your answer in the context of that person’s experience. For example, if I was asked by an old school friend what an OT does, armed with this advice, I would reply, “well you know Frank…” (and those that did, knew Frank was quadriplegic), “…an OT would have worked with him after his accident to ensure he could participate in all his daily activities and pursue his interests in the best way possible". I have tried this formula a few times already and usually it elicits the switched on light-bulb response followed by the person giving me examples of what an OT does; therefore, ultimate proof that it works.

Returning to university again, and this time to study a discipline that seems like a perfect fit for me, has been extremely exciting; one instructor even commented that my mood had been ‘euphoric’ on the second day. I’m hoping that the large doses of interesting, yet intense anatomy classes will reduce the euphoria to realistic and possibly more sustainable levels. As I embark on this 24 month journey, I would like to share with you my experiences and reflections upon entering this wonderful profession and in my mission to become a fully-fledged Occupational Therapist.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,

I read your blog entry in the December CAOT & You newsletter and decided to come over to your blog. I'm a first year OT student at Dalhousie University and i thought your blog was pretty interesting and I wanted to reply

In my class of about 50 students, there is a record breaking amount of guys. 6 of them. The year before me has 1. I noticed that every time a guest speaker comes in, they always point out the row of guys. On one particular occassion, one of the guest speakers told them that it's only in North America that OTs are predominantly female. In Asia, the men pretty much dominate in numbers. I have yet to really find out if that's true.

I do believe that men have a vital role in OT and I'm encouraged to know that you and another guy are in the program. I feel like the guys in our class give a different perspective to things, and it stretches the rest of the classmates to think bigger. I too wonder why the OT profession (in NA at least) is mostly female. There are loads of guys in PT, and it is a rehab science as well. I'm obviously not meaning to compared OT with PT (that happends enough), but they are both rehab sciences, yet PT gets all the guys. Maybe it's the sports aspect..

Anyways, I'll finish of my rambles

Take care
Alison

Tom said...

Hi Alison,

Firstly, thanks for replying to my post. To be honest, I’ve just been writing this for the fun of writing and wasn’t quite sure if anyone out there in cyberspace was reading my ramblings. Then lo and behold, the blog gets a plug in the student CAOT mag and now I realize there is an audience (although you may be the only one ). What makes it even more exciting that you replied is that you’re on the other side of the country, which gives me one of those “it’s a small world” feelings.

I was interested to hear your comments on men in OT. We also have guest speakers coming in and scanning the class for male specimens. I agree that more guys are attracted to PT because of the interest in sport (although most of the PT’s I’ve seen in rehab hospitals have been women; the men maybe go into sports med and private practice). PT’s would maybe take offence by this, but it seems like a greater understanding of psychology is necessary for being OT. Maybe a safer statement is that OT has mental illness in its scope which obviously requires knowledge of psychology. Thinking back to my undergrad psychology degree, the female to male ratio was about 8 to 1. What’s up with men not being into psychology? I’m interested in finding out more about the male mind (it might help at some stage of my live!)

I wonder if the dominance of men in OT in Asia is to do with a slightly different interpretation of the OT role in those countries. From brief chats with people, I have the feeling that the nature of OT really differs between countries – even between Canada and other English speaking countries. Or maybe it’s to do with a different societal perception of the job.

Well, it’s nice to hear that you feel men have something important to add to the profession and also to your classes. In the interests of solidarity (and ‘Boy Power’ – the opposite of The Spice Girls’ ‘Girl Power’), please give my respects to the guys on your course). I would be interested in hearing their thoughts too!

Happy New Year and have a great second term.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,
Thanks for having a blog about being a OT. At the moment I'm at that stage in highschool where we are expected to know what we want to be when graduate in six months. This has defently helped. I can't help but be scared that I may not reach that goal... especially since UBC only enrolls 40 students per year.

Tom said...

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on the blog - I'm glad it's some use.

It's definitely a confusing time reaching the end of high school and trying to figure out what to go into at uni. For what it's worth, here's my best attempt at giving a few words of advice. Firstly, don't think that's it's an all or nothing decision, one that you've got to get right the first time. Many people change the direction of their career after trying out one thing for a while. Every career provides you with useful skills that will be useful in other areas if you want to change. The slightly scary fact is that we have to work for about 40 years of our lives, so it's quite likely that you'll want to change direction at some point.

Secondly, follow your heart or gut feeling. If you've tried out a few part time jobs, you probably have a reasonable idea of what elements of working you do like, but more importantly maybe, what parts of working you don't like. Try to figure out what motivates you (helping people, money, having control, being driven to targets etc.) and follow lines of work that contain a lot of those elements. Shadow people in different jobs (people are usually quite accommodating)- even half a day gives you an idea of whether you could see yourself in that work environment.

If you think you may be interested in health care, there are so many potential areas: OT, PT, speech and language therapists, psychologists, dietitions, social workers, nurses, vocational counsellors, recreations therapists, art/music therapists, doctors and the list goes on. I think most of these require at least a 2 year masters program after a degree (check what their prereq.s are and that can guide the courses you take at uni), so you've got a bit of time to consider your options.

I know 40 places seems daunting, but the good news is that they are trying to expand on numbers as the profession is in a lot of demand. If you know that you're passionate about one of these areas, you'll be motivated to work hard to get to where you want to be. It's hard, but very achievable at the same time.

All the best,

Tom

Anonymous said...

Well said.